Monday, March 28, 2011

Accomplished: Stair Treads!

I am happy to report I have been able to check off a few things from my to-do list.

Today I:
  • did the dishes
  • am doing the laundry
  • cleaned off the desk in the guest room
  • and attached the stair treads
And I still plan on:
  • taking a nap
  • making dinner

Oh, yeah.

Also, floors and bathrooms are clean. I can't take credit for this one. It all goes to our lovely and eco-friendly house-cleaners, Brilliant Cleaning.

Here are the stairs before:



And after:



We bought the stair treads on ebay from this guy. We bought the adhesive from Home Depot... or maybe Lowe's. I'm actually not sure, because Bill picked it up when he brought all the nasty old carpet from the nursery to the dump. Anyway, we used Rhino Grip, which is VOC free, so I was able to tackle the job of applying it.

We have been meaning to get stair treads (or a runner) pretty much since we moved in (2 years ago this May). Wood stairs are a bit treacherous. Within a week or two of moving in I definitely slipped going down them and sprained my ankle. Lesson learned: no socks on wood stairs! And poor Ralph- he falls down the stairs about once a month. He is not the most agile beast, and sometimes his giant paws just don't find purchase. He had a tough time learning how to go up and down the stairs when we first got him. It was pretty hilarious to watch him try to figure out when to move which paw where. But, the stair treads should now eliminate any future falls for the big guy. And, with the baby coming we figured the time was now to get this job done.

Here's Ralph demonstrating going up the stairs (and Gert already at the top):


And going down (the trickier of the two for him):


No comments:

Post a Comment